How to Become a Game Developer?
How to Become a Game Developer?
With the comprehensive development of technology, inevitable changes are happening in many conventional areas. One of the areas directly influenced by technology is undoubtedly the gaming culture. Computer games, which provide enjoyable and entertaining moments for players, also offer an interactive gaming experience for the player.
Games that stand out with impressive graphics and technologies are designed by individuals known as mobile application and game developers. Game developers create games with various concepts based on players' different desires and needs, and present them to users. Game developers who work on different projects gain expertise in design, software development, and many other areas.
Game development, one of the popular professions in the modern world, also stands out with its wide range of job opportunities. Game developers have the opportunity to work part-time or full-time in game studios, game companies, or game development teams. Individuals working as game developers are involved in the "software" part of game development. Depending on the genre and concept of the developed game, game developers may need to have different areas of expertise. Those who want to enter the field of game development, also known as Game Development, need to possess certain qualifications. If you aspire to become a game developer and gain expertise in this field, you can obtain comprehensive information from our content.
Ways to Become a Game Developer
Many people who want to work in the rapidly growing game development industry are interested in knowing the ways to become a game developer. Here are the steps you need to take to become a game developer:
- Obtain a Degree in Relevant Fields: If you aspire to work as a game developer and want to improve yourself in this field, it is beneficial to start by completing your education with a bachelor's degree. Game development programs in universities are generally based on software and computer science. Having a bachelor's degree in related fields can always give you an advantage, allowing you to blend theoretical knowledge with practical skills in your professional career. Additionally, while a bachelor's degree is highly valuable, you can also participate in different training programs and continuously develop yourself to enter the software industry.
- Coding: Coding plays a crucial role in game development. Through coding, game developers design and shape the respective games. Alongside coding, it is important to have knowledge of various programming languages such as Lua, Python, C, C++, and many others, and enhance your knowledge and skills in software engineering.
- Importance of C++ Programming Language: C++ is one of the most well-known programming languages globally and holds significant importance in establishing a solid foundation in game development. It is essential to learn and understand C++ programming language, which is widely used in different domains. Examine up-to-date code examples and simple language samples carefully.
- Unity Tool: Unity is a powerful development tool commonly used for desktop and mobile game development, as well as real-time simulations. By acquiring knowledge in Unity, you can make significant progress in the field of game development.
- Unreal Engine: Unreal Engine stands out for its adoption of real-time development tools and should be among your areas of expertise. Gaining knowledge about Unreal Engine is crucial for aspiring game developers.
What Characteristics Should a Game Developer Have?
A good game developer should enhance the appeal of the game and ensure that the developed game provides an enjoyable experience. This requires the game developer to possess certain characteristics. If you're curious about how to become a game developer, take a look at the following points:
- Familiarity with the Game Industry: To become a successful game developer, you should have a good understanding of the game industry and thoroughly examine all types of games available in the market. Additionally, you need to identify the game genres that attract more user interest and have the ability to create reports on why these games are preferred.
- Ability to Observe Games from a Design Perspective: You should carefully analyze the game you are working on from a design standpoint. This allows you to enhance your visual memory and make significant contributions to the field of game development.
- Improve Your Coding Skills: If you want to create a game from scratch and release it to the market, it is essential to have knowledge of coding. Having technical expertise in coding enables you to bring your game design to life and achieve tangible success.
- Attention to Detail: As a game developer, you should have a good grasp of technical and hardware details. It is also important to have a command of programming languages and engines. Being familiar with the programming language and game engine is crucial.
- Ability to Work in a Team: Game development is a collaborative process carried out by a knowledgeable and skilled team. Each team member examines the developed game from different perspectives and seeks ways to make it more appealing. If you aspire to become a game developer, you should be inclined towards teamwork, open to diverse perspectives and disciplines. You should be able to think systematically and modularly, actively follow the developments in the gaming industry, and meet project deadlines.
What Positions Can a Game Developer Hold?
Game development is among the most popular positions in the modern world. With the advancement of technology and the growth of the game development industry, there is a demand for individuals to work in this field. As a game developer, there are various positions you can hold. The positions commonly found in game developer job listings include:
- Game Designer: Game designers specialize in creating the worlds and concepts of video games. They are responsible for the game's genre, story, environment, system, characters, and user experience design. As a game designer, you need to write the game's story, establish the game's plot, set goals for the game's progression, and address the game's specific needs.
- Level Designer: Level designers carefully create and map out the levels within a game.
- Game Programmer: Game programming is a position predominantly held by computer engineers. It involves the implementation of the game and encompasses areas such as user interface, tools, networking, transportation, scripting, and artificial intelligence. As a game programmer, you have the opportunity to specialize in various different areas.
- AI Programmer: AI programmers create the foundation, or the "brain," of a game. They develop various algorithms to determine the behaviors of characters and elements within the game.
- Game Engineer: Graduates from various disciplines within game development, commonly known as game development departments, can work as game engineers with a bachelor's degree. Game engineers adapt the software to meet the requirements of the specific game. They are experts in coding and create specialized software for the game.
- Game Artist: Game artists primarily work on developing video games. They work on all visual elements related to the game, creating 2D and 3D art. They are responsible for the visual aesthetics of the game.
- 3D Character Artist: As the name suggests, 3D character artists create 3D character models for video games and films. They also prepare visual elements related to the game, creating various illustrations based on sketches.
What are the Advantages of Being a Game Developer?
Game development, one of the popular professions in the modern world, comes with various advantages. The advantages of being a game developer are listed as follows:
- As a game developer, you have the opportunity to bring the game you have designed in your imagination to life. Working with an expert team, you can design your dream game and have control over every stage of your own game.
- Game development is a profession that can adapt to remote work. Therefore, you can benefit from the advantages of remote work. You can set your own working hours in the comfort of your home and have the opportunity to think creatively in a much calmer environment.
- The digital gaming industry is a sector that is increasingly valued, gaining value through investments and participation. Therefore, it is expected that the gaming industry will establish itself for a much longer time in the global world. The significant impact of the gaming industry directly increases the job opportunities in the game development field.
- Game developer salaries are also among the advantages of being a game developer. As a game developer, you can work for foreign companies and have the chance to earn competitive salaries.
What are the Disadvantages of Being a Game Developer?
The advantages that come with the profession of game development have led to an increase in the number of people interested in this field. Like many professions, game development also has various disadvantages. The disadvantages of being a game developer can be listed as follows:
- Game development is not an easy profession as it may seem. The game development process, which has many intricate details, also requires a high level of attention. Otherwise, a poorly designed game will inevitably fail to attract attention and be defined as mediocre.
- Game development also involves various risks. Although game graphics and designs may be flawless, the resulting game may not be well-received by users.
- Game development also involves the process of improving the game. Therefore, it is important to be dependent on the relevant team. Experts from the team are involved in various areas such as graphics, sound design, design, coding, and more. Thus, it is not possible to work independently from the team.
Game Developer Salaries
As a game developer, you have the opportunity to work in game studios, software companies, and various other fields. You can work part-time or full-time and also have the chance to work remotely. Game developer salaries can vary depending on your work style. Your hourly rate may vary based on your work style and tends to differ depending on the company you are affiliated with. If you work in areas such as artificial intelligence, virtual reality, NFT, and augmented reality, your salary can be at different levels.
Game Engines that Game Developers Can Use
There are several main game engines that individuals practicing the profession of game development can use. People who will use game engines need to have knowledge about the programming languages required by the game engines and the respective language's IDE. The game engines that game developers can use are listed as follows:
- Unreal Engine
- Game Maker Studio
- Godot Engine