What is Telegram? How is it used?
What Is Telegram? How Is It Used?
Telegram is a messaging service that allows communication through one-on-one chats, group messaging, and channels. It uses cloud-based servers to securely transmit messages and media between users. Additionally, it offers advanced features such as end-to-end encryption, self-destructing messages, and bot integrations. With some of these advanced features, Telegram can be more versatile compared to its biggest competitor, WhatsApp.
What Is Telegram?
Telegram is a messaging tool that enables sending and receiving messages to individuals without sharing phone numbers. Developed by two brothers, Pavel and Nikolai Durov, in 2013, this tool has become quite popular due to its emphasis on privacy and security protocols. One of the well-encrypted communication platforms, Telegram's major feature is providing an ad-free, cross-platform, cloud-based distributed messaging service.
What Does Telegram Do?
Telegram serves as a means of communication among individuals, groups, and communities. However, this platform can be used for various purposes.
- Sending/Receiving Messages: Telegram primarily functions as an instant messaging platform, allowing you to communicate with others. You don't need to share your phone number to use this feature. You can hide your number and create a username, which allows people to find you on Telegram through the search function. In addition to text messages, you can also share videos and voice messages on the platform.
- File Storage: One of Telegram's biggest advantages is its cloud-based file storage. It keeps all your files until you choose to delete them. There are no storage limitations, so you can store as many videos, audio files, and images as you want. However, there are file size limits when sending files to other users; you cannot send files larger than 15 GB using Telegram.
- Telegram Groups: Creating groups is a basic feature of any instant messaging application, but Telegram surpasses its closest competitor, WhatsApp, in this regard. While WhatsApp allows a maximum of 250 members in a group, Telegram lets you create large communities with over 200,000 members. Telegram groups don't occupy any space on your device's memory.
- Folder Creation: If you use Telegram for business or have a large number of contacts, you might find it challenging to locate specific people in your list due to the volume of contacts. To avoid this, you can use Telegram's folder creation feature. You can create folders for contacts related to specific topics, making your work more efficient.
- Channel Creation: Telegram channels are particularly useful for professionals and entrepreneurs in the digital world. Channels are one-way chat groups where only administrators can send messages to subscribers. Channels can be public or restricted, but they primarily serve for communication with a community. They allow you to communicate with potential customers, announce news about products or services, or follow announcements. You can join Telegram channels related to your interests or industry and keep up with the latest developments.
- Multi-Session: Telegram requires two-factor authentication for security and allows you to access your account from different devices. This means you can use your account both on your mobile phone and computer.
Telegram's basic services are free to use. However, by subscribing to a monthly plan, you gain access to a variety of additional features. With a paid plan, features such as channels, folders, increased sharing limits, text-to-speech, real-time in-app translation, animated emojis, and live profile pictures become available through Telegram Premium.
How to Use Telegram?
Telegram can be used by installing it on iOS and Android smartphones, as well as on macOS, ChromeOS, Linux devices, or desktop computer browsers. After installation, you need to register on the platform. To register, you only need to add your phone number. You can activate Telegram with the verification code sent to your mobile phone via SMS.
When you start using Telegram, you'll need to give your account a name. However, this doesn't have to be your real name, as it will be your display name. Your display name is not the same as your username; others search for your account using your username, not your display name. After completing this step, you should grant access to your contacts for Telegram to start messaging with others.
To join Telegram channels, you can tap on the magnifying glass icon at the top of the main page and enter the name of the channel you're looking for. When you select the correct search result, you'll see a preview of the latest messages sent to that channel. If it interests you, you can tap the "Join" button at the bottom of the screen. If you want to create your own Telegram channel, you can tap the pencil icon on the main screen and select the "New Channel" option.
After naming your channel, you'll need to decide whether it will be private or public. If you choose the public option, any Telegram user can search for it by its name. If you create a private channel, you'll have a link that you can send to the people you want to invite.
What Is a Telegram Bot?
A Telegram bot is a type of chatbot designed to interact with users. It is programmed to simulate human conversation and provide automated responses to user queries. Telegram bots are used to automate various tasks, such as sending notifications to companies or communities and providing information.
Telegram bots can be created by anyone with coding skills using the Telegram Bot API. They can be programmed for a wide range of functions, such as providing weather updates, news, or sports information, facilitating tasks, managing user accounts, and even playing games. These bots can be added to individual chats and group conversations, allowing participants to interact with them by sending messages or commands. This customization is achieved by programming bots to respond to specific keywords or phrases. Bots can also be programmed to learn and adapt to user preferences over time.
Telegram bots are a powerful marketing tool for businesses for the following reasons:
- Direct Communication with Customers: Businesses can communicate directly with their customers using Telegram Bot UI, allowing them to send personalized messages.
- Customization: The Bot API and Telegram user interface enable businesses to customize their messages and chatbots to match their brand voice and tone.
- Real-time Feedback and Analytics: The Telegram Bot API provides real-time feedback and analytics, allowing businesses to monitor the performance of chatbots. The user interface provides metrics such as the number of messages sent, received, and read. This information helps businesses optimize their chatbots and improve their marketing efforts.
- Automation of Tasks: Businesses can automate tasks such as sending notifications, scheduling appointments, and processing orders using Telegram bots.
- Integration with Other Platforms: Telegram bots can be integrated with platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, CRM systems, and email marketing, allowing businesses to optimize their operations.
What Are the Features of Telegram?
Telegram offers a wide range of features for messaging, reaching target audiences with bots, and managing groups and communities. Some of these features include:
- Message Editing: You can edit the text of the messages you've sent. To do this, simply tap on the message and select the "Edit" button.
- Secret Chats: Telegram allows you to create secret chats with end-to-end encryption. Screenshots are disabled during secret chats, and if you log into Telegram on a different device, you won't have access to the secret chat.
- Silent Messages: You can send messages to others without generating notifications. This is useful when you want to communicate with someone but know they are busy. To do this, long-press the "Send" button and select "Send Without Sound."
- Scheduled Messages: You can schedule messages to be sent at a specific date and time. To schedule a message, long-press the "Send" button and select "Schedule Message."
- Self-Destructing Messages: You can set a timer for messages to disappear after 24 hours or 7 days.
- Invitation Links with Limited Use: Telegram allows administrators to create limited-use links in addition to the main group or channel links. This feature helps administrators control the number of people joining a group.
- Control Over Last Seen Time: You can restrict who can see your last seen time, phone number, and profile picture in the "Privacy and Security" settings.
- Security Features: Telegram is known for its security features. It is based on the MTProto protocol, which uses tested algorithms to provide secure communication. Telegram also supports two-layered secure encryption. Cloud chats use server-client encryption, while secret chats use an additional client-client encryption layer.
In addition to these features, Telegram offers two types of APIs for developers, both of which are free. The Bot API allows the creation of programs that use Telegram messages as an interface without requiring knowledge of MTProto encryption. The intermediary server handles all communication and encryption. The Telegram API helps in building customized Telegram clients and provides access to the Telegram open-source code for learning how the platform works.
Creating Telegram applications from scratch is not necessary, as the Telegram Database Library (TDLib) simplifies the development of secure applications with rich features. It handles local data storage, network application details, and encryption, allowing developers to focus on design and user interfaces.
For those looking to pursue a career in the tech industry, Techcareer.net's Telegram community connects talent with experts and offers job listings, bootcamp training, and hackathon events. Stay up to date by joining the Telegram community today.
What Is Telegram?
Telegram is a messaging platform that allows you to communicate with people. In addition to individual chats with your contacts, you can also join group conversations and channels on Telegram. You can use Telegram to stay updated on topics of interest and receive real-time announcements and developments.
How Does Telegram Differ from Other Messaging Platforms?
Telegram stands out from other messaging platforms by offering high participant limits for groups and the ability to join channels. Channels, in particular, serve as a search engine for communities and topics of interest. Telegram also provides features like cloud storage and enhanced security, setting it apart from its competitors.
On Which Devices Can Telegram Be Used?
Telegram is available for use on both mobile phones and computers. To use it on your mobile phone, simply download the Telegram app from the App Store or Google Play Store. For desktop use, you can download Telegram from the respective app stores for macOS, ChromeOS, and Linux, or you can add it to your browser as an extension.
Are Bootcamp Training Sessions Free?
Bootcamp training sessions are offered for free. During these live sessions, you have the opportunity to acquire both theoretical and practical knowledge. This allows you to explore the latest developments in your area of interest and improve your skills.
How Can I Join the Discord Channel?
In addition to Telegram, you can also stay updated on current events and announcements through the Discord community. To join the Discord channel, simply click on the following link: https://discord.gg/techcareernet